Thursday, December 11, 2008

Searching for the Holiday Spirit

Christmas is generally my favorite time of year.  Seriously, I'm like a kid all over again the entire month of December.  This year I just can't seem to get myself into it.  Don't get me wrong.  I have put up the tree and I have bought gifts.  Unfortunately, I just can't afford as many gifts as I have in the past.  

I think what has happened is the financial crisis all around us.  Every morning when I turn on the news, without missing a beat I hear about another company that is laying off large amounts of workers.  It just seems like everyone is hurting so badly this year that it's hard to be in the spirit of the holidays.  

As I'm writing this I decided to put my favorite Christmas CD on.  I have to admit that it is making me a little more "jolly."  It's an amazing CD ... but not your typical stuff.  If you've never heard of them before, I highly recommend checking out The Tran-Siberian Orchestra.  They're a mix of classical music along with rock and roll.  I'm sure you can download some of their stuff somewhere to take a listen for yourself.  They have a few CDs.  If you do decide to look up their stuff, I'd recommend Christmas Eve and Other Stories.

I figure I still have two weeks to find my holiday spirit one step at a time.  We're supposed to get between 4 and 8 inches of snow tonight.  Maybe that will help!

No comments: